Saturday, February 20, 2010

Never Paid On Time...

So why is it that it's perfectly acceptable for your employer to not pay on time, but you rack up absurd penalties for turning around and paying your bills late?

As I've mentioned before, I do a lot of freelancing, so I have had quite a few experiences with employers paying me from anywhere to a day to eight weeks late. My frustration increases when these paychecks arrive late...but I still have to pay my rent, insurance, and utilities on time.

I've talked to several experts in the financial realm - accountants, lawyers, etc., and unfortunately there's not an easy answer. If an employer hasn't paid you, you can indeed file a complaint in small claims court, but that can take weeks or months to go through - way past when your bills are due. Or, if a contractor doesn't pay you at all, you can write off you missing check as a tax deduction...but again, that's not really helping with the here and now.

Oh, and the best part is the whole direct deposit thing. I have NEVER been employed by any company who gets this right the first time. I usually go through one to three pay periods before someone gets off their lazy ass and actually types in my information. In the meantime...I'm just waiting for another late check.

No comments:

Post a Comment