Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Driving Rant #4.5: A Day in the Life of...

Today we take a brief pause in the planned line of subjects for a full blown rant about my drive home from work today.

I knew the day wasn’t starting out well when I couldn’t even leave the parking garage. I park in the same garage for work every day I’m there, but for some reason today the parking attendant decided to be a head case and demanded to see my ID along with my check card. So I gave it to her...she looked at it, looked at me, and said "That don’t look like you!" Ugh. I’m wearing glasses today, and not in that photo. So after about five minutes of arguing back and forth, reciting my address, and showing her two other forms of ID, she finally lets me pay and go. I mean seriously - I think if someone was using a stolen wallet they’d have better things to buy than overpriced city parking space.

I managed to get about two blocks from the garage when I’m stopped behind a Fed-Ex tractor trailer completely blocking traffic. Now, this is Main Street - there is a fair amount of traffic coming in the opposite direction. So I wait, and I wait, and I wait - in the meantime, a city cop pulls up behind me in line. Finally, a small space opens up in oncoming traffic, and as I begin to pull into the lane, the cop behind me turns into the lane and passes me, narrowly missing the driver side of my car. In the meantime, oncoming traffic approaches, and the cop and the oncoming car are at a standstill next to the tractor trailer. Now, keep in mind the cop is obviously the one going the wrong way - instead of backing up and letting the correct traffic go through, he turns on his lights and sirens and makes all of the oncoming traffic back up so that he can get through. He then turns of his lights and sirens, and continues down the road at a leisurely pace - while the rest of us are still stuck behind the goddamned truck.

As for the truck - dude, seriously, even if the loading dock is full, do NOT block freakin’ Main Street to unload your packages. There is a side street not 20 feet ahead of you that you can pull into and not disrupt one of the major arteries of downtown traffic.

After that fiasco, I headed towards the interstate on one of the main roadways, and got behind a lady who came to a dead stop at a green light in the middle of the three lane road. She then signals to turn right, and as I’m about to pass her on the left, she then swerves to the left at the last minute and signals a turn in that direction. I stop, she doesn’t move, and then the light turns red.

She then proceeds to turn right as originally planned (still in the middle lane, btw), and I’m stuck for a whole light cycle.

I FINALLY make it to the interstate (keep in mind this is just over two miles from my work place, and it has already taken me over half and hour to get there), and merge on - and than am almost immediately run off the road by a handicapped driver who cut in front of me and then slammed on her brakes to avoid hitting the car in front of her.

Two minutes later, I watch a see of red brake lights light up in front of me as a dump truck crosses four lanes of interstate traffic at once to make a last minute left exit.

It was like America’s Worst Driver’s all rolled into one episode for my viewing pleasure. Oh, wait, there wasn’t any snow. Well, there’s some forecasted again for Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment