Friday, February 5, 2010

Bad Driving Rant #4: Driving in the Snow

There is a time and a place to practice driving in the snow. On the interstate, in seven inches of ice and snow, in your Prelude, is not it.

So I just recently moved to a coastal area that's not prone to snow, but lo and behold, last week we had six inches dumped on us. I come from an area where snow and ice was the norm during the winter months, so I dug my SUV out of the driveway, and slowly headed on into work.

I admit to being momentarily shocked that the interstates weren't even plowed - but then I remembered my city probably didn't even own plows. So I stayed in four wheel drive and leisurely made my way down the road.

I live 17 miles away from my work place. I counted 34 wrecked, disabled, or stuck cars just on my way in that day. Seriously - did you think your lightweight 2-cylinder sports car was gonna get any traction OR clearance in half a foot of snow?

Some tips to drivers unaccustomed to driving in the snow:

1) If you don't have four-wheel drive, stay home.

2) If you don't have any experience driving in the snow, stay home.

3) Slamming on your breaks in the snow or ice is a sure fire way to NOT stop. If you need to stop or make a turn, simply let off the accelerator early and slowly glide into a stop.

4) Leave at least 100 yards between you and any other vehicle. Even if you think you're in control of your car, you still don't know about that other guy.

5) If you have a pick-up truck, put some bricks or rocks in the back so that you actually have enough weight to not go fish-tailing all over creation.

Of course, as usual - unless you really have to drive in that stuff, just stay home with some hot coffee and a good book.

No comments:

Post a Comment