Thursday, January 14, 2010

Eating My Words

So you know how I said in my post a few days ago about the Craigslist scams that I hadn't heard of anyone ever having to submit to a credit report in order for a job? Well, I have to retract that statement.

One of my friends just recently had a job offer REVOKED after the company did a credit check and found two outstanding accounts.

My friend, like many others, has some overdue bills. The economy is tough. People made stupid decisions when they were younger. Hell, some people just forget to write the checks every month. (In my case, thank God for automatic bill pay!) What I don't understand is...how does having an eight year old hospital bill affect your ability to do your job? I mean, I guess I could understand if you were working with money, giving financial advice, etc. But for a help desk technician? Really?!

Let me get this straight - you didn't hire him because he has bad credit. He has bad credit because he didn't pay all of his bills. He can continue to not pay his bills by not having a job...

...and then who breaks the cycle? The government? He can try to pay off his bills on unemployment, I guess, but I have a feeling most people would like to see their tax dollars better spent.

No comments:

Post a Comment