Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Not getting any job applicants? Blame your IT guy.

As much as I love my job, like most everyone else, I do scrounge around on occasion to see what other opportunities might be present in my area. Today I found a very promising job with a local branch of a well-known company, and sat down to apply.

There's one thing I've noticed about applying for jobs these days: it's almost pointless to have a resume. Seriously. Just a year or two ago it was perfectly acceptable to just email, fax, mail, or drop off a copy of your resume and move on. But now, pretty much 80% of the jobs I see require you to fill out pages and pages of forms and applications. It's all the same information - just formatted to their taste. However, for a serious job seeker, it's really time consuming. Hell, it was frustrating for me spending forty minutes applying for this one job this one day - imagine doing ten or so applications like this every day!

So imagine how even more frustrating it was when I went to click 'submit' and got an error message! "Please fill out all of the Online Questionnaire before submitting." Ok, I thought, I missed something, and went back. Nope. I looked at every section, analyzed every asterisk-denoted required field, and the thing was full. But I still couldn't submit the application. In desperation, I scoured the website for an email address or contact form - but nothing was offered.

So...if you're running a business and are baffled at the total lack of applications in spite of having 20+ job openings - you might wanna check your website.

No comments:

Post a Comment